From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Shall econf append its arguments to end of ./configure invocation?
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:30:50
1 Ciaran McCreesh posted on Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:12:13 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 05:30:03 +0000 (UTC)
4 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >> There's value in someone being just contrarian enough to purposefully
6 >> look for the strangest or most illogical read of a spec and (initially)
7 >> implement it that way, in ordered to root out and get the bugs in the
8 >> spec fixed. That said...
9 >
10 > I highly doubt the person implementing the code for Paludis was doing it
11 > in a contrarian way. As far as I can see, he simply implemented what the
12 > spec says.
13
14 Not saying it has to be deliberate. There's some people who seem to just
15 seem to have the gift. The way they think just naturally finds the bugs
16 in the spec, the loophole in the law, whatever. They're terribly
17 frustrating to people who equally naturally seem to find the most
18 tolerant read of things, but if it was deliberate at some point years
19 ago, it's no longer so; it just comes naturally.
20
21 And what I'm saying is that as terribly frustrating as it can be, there's
22 some value in that, because they /do/ end up finding the bugs/loopholes/
23 whatever, which is good as then they can be fixed. And there's some
24 value in recognizing that good for what it is.
25
26 Another analogy would be that these people are human versions of the
27 kernel's trinity fuzz tester...
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman