From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 02:44:16
1 On 08/04/16 03:36, Damien Levac wrote:
2 > Anybody who have this kind of misconception about 'usr merge' should
3 > read this:
4 >
5 > https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
6 >
7 > Signed,
8 >
9 > a user who got scared by this thread and documented myself before
10 > freaking out too much...
11 >
12 >>> Personally I think that merging things into /usr is a major policy >>
13 > decision that is likely to contravene upstream installation
14 >>> locations. I wouldn't do it lightly, if at all.
15 >
16 Three points :-
17 1) systemd - not all gentoo users subscribe to this 'philosophy' .. but
18 no, I don't want get drawn into debates of yes/no of systemd ..
19 2) "Today, a separate /usr partition already must be mounted by the
20 initramfs during early boot, thus making the justification for a
21 split-off moot." - no, not all gentoo users have an initramfs and
22 need/want one .. so this is a false assumption.
23 3) I still believe there is merit in distinguishing between binaries
24 that can/should be run as root, and those that can/should not. Those
25 that run as root 100% of the time, or use VMs, don't really 'use' linux
26 in the original sense of the OS ..
27
28 *hides in his bike-shed, awaiting the flaming torches....*