From: Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Changes in installed ebuilds
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:32:17
1 On 25/06/14 06:42 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Except if they're locally hard masked ... ;-)
3
4 there's nothing we can do if you intentionally break your own system
5
6 >> In that case I think revbump is not warranted since it should continue
7 >> to work for existing installation and new installations shouldn't be
8 >> any different beside the dependency and not revbumping eliminates some
9 >> needless rebuilts.
12 > The point is: Why update silently the dependency versions for a stable
13 > release? Especially in this case, because the now "required" versions are
14 > the oldest stable ones in the official tree. Therefore anyone with the
15 > official tree would have had those anyway. But such an action may affect
16 > anyone with a local tree or overlays.
17
18 wrong, please read the mail regarding the >= deps in the first place
19 which you have been referred to repeatedly.
20
21 >> I guess you could fork the needed packages (you can always get older
22 >> versions from cvs) into your custom overlay for old eclipse and maintain
23 >> them there under some slot.
26 > That's what I actually did for all "bumped" packages in the end. Effort for
27 > nothing.
28
29 broken system is broken