From: Balaji Srinivasan <BSrinivasan@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: 'Jason Giangrande' <jason@××××××××××.org>, gentoo-user@g.o, "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RE: [gentoo-user] etc-update
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:31:29
1 One way these conflicts could be reduced is by separating out sections in
2 config files that will most probably be modified by the user and those which
3 are not. For example the USE directive and the CFLAGS directive from
4 make.conf could be moved to a separate file. That way whenever portage
5 changes, they wouldnt need to update those flags (or even if they did it
6 would be easy to merge). This is in ofcourse be in addition to having a way
7 for the user to indicate which files he is interested in and hence those
8 files should not be auto updated. Also maintaining a history of updates in a
9 separate directory would also
10 help. This way in case things do go wrong we still have access to the old
11 files.
12
13 Balaji
14
15 -----Original Message-----
16 From: Jason Giangrande [mailto:jason@××××××××××.org]
17 Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 11:30 AM
18 To: gentoo-user@g.o
19 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] etc-update
22 Ian, that was my point exactly.
23
24 I'm not saying that, by default, etc-update should update all files
25 automatically but being able to tell it to update all files that I know
26 I haven't manually changed would be a good thing.
27
28 Jason
29
30 Ian Truelsen wrote: