From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Baselayout-2 progress?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:56:57
1 On Friday 29 February 2008 23:23:34 Ed Wildgoose wrote:
2 > > [2] I use busybox as a shell and can support it when it's internal
3 > > start-stop-daemon applet disabled (as OpenRC has it's own variant).
4 >
5 > I guess I could just check it out instead of asking but.... What's
6 > missing from the busybox s-s-daemon?
7 >
8 > I am using the busybox version 95% successfully with baselayout-2 for
9 > example (just simple stuff mind). The only thing it's breaking on right
10 > now is a --test option which doesn't seem to exist?
11 >
12 > I'm not that fussed, I'm just curious?
13
14 s-s-d when used in an OpenRC service remembers how the daemon is started so it
15 can poll to see if it's still running or not. We also use this ability to
16 ensure the daemon really starts. A lot of daemons love to fork (and return
17 success) before checking config and system for sanity, so sometimes it's
18 needed.
19
20 OpenRC variant also works better for finding daemons on the whole, especially
21 if you upgrade an already running daemon.
22
23 Plus, it supports more OS's than busybox - but to be fair, busybox only
24 supports Linux.
25
26 It's also missing chroot and env options from the upstream Debian version.
27 It's also missing the Gentoo extras for PAM limits support and redirecting the
28 daemons stdout/stderr to log files.
29 It also requires the crappy use of oknodo.
30 It fails to search for daemon arguments when stopping (important for say
31 daemons using python without pidfiles)
32
33 I'm not sure that busybox would take any patches to add much of the above as
34 most would add more bloat for sure.
35
36 Thanks
37