From: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preserve_old_lib and I'm even more lazy
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:52:55
1 > Oh, if you need a safe COW filesystem today I'd definitely recommend
2 > ZFS over btrfs for sure, although I suspect the people who are most
3 > likely to take this sort of advice are also the sort of people who are
4 > most likely to not be running Gentoo.  There are a bazillion problems
5 > with btrfs as it stands.
6
7 There is significant interest in ZFS in the Gentoo community,
8 especially on freenode. Several veteran users are evaluating it and
9 others have already begun to switch from other filesystems, volume
10 managers and RAID solutions.
11
12 > However, fundamentally there is no reason to think that ZFS will
13 > remain better in the future, once the bugs are worked out.  They're
14 > still focusing on keeping btrfs from hosing your data - tuning
15 > performance is not a priority yet.  However, the b-tree design of
16 > btrfs should scale very well once the bugs are worked out.
17
18 ZFSOnLinux performance tuning is not a priority either, but there have
19 been a few patches and the performance is good. btrfs might one day
20 outperform ZFS in terms of single disk performance, assuming that it
21 does not already, but I question the usefulness of single disk
22 performance as a performance metric. If I add a SSD to a ZFS pool
23 machine to complement the disk, system performance will increase
24 many-fold. As far as I can tell, that will never be possible with
25 btrfs without external solutions like Google's flashcache, which
26 killed an OCZ Vertex 3 within 16 days about a month ago that Wyatt in
27 #gentoo-chat on freenode had to replace. I imagine that its death
28 could have been delayed through write rate limiting, which is what ZFS
29 uses for L2ARC, but until you can replace the Linux page replacement
30 algorithm with either ARC or something comparable, flashcache will be
31 inferior to ZFS L2ARC. You can read more about this topic at the
32 following link:
33
34 http://linux-mm.org/AdvancedPageReplacement
35
36 ZFS at its core is a transactional object store and everything that
37 enables its use as a filesystem is implemented on top of that. ZFS
38 supports raidz3, zvols, L2ARC, SLOG/ZIL and endian independence, which
39 as far as I can tell, are things that btrfs will never support.. ZFS
40 also has either first-party or third-party support on Solaris,
41 FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, while btrfs appears to have no
42 future outside of Linux.
43
44 Lastly, ZFS' performance scaling exceeds that of any block device
45 based filesystem I have seen (which excludes comparisons with
46 tmpfs/ramfs and lustre/gpfs). The following benchmark is of a SAN
47 device using ZFS:
48
49 http://www.anandtech.com/show/3963/zfs-building-testing-and-benchmarking/2
50
51 While ZFS performance in that benchmark is impressive, ZFS can scale
52 far higher with additional disks and more SSDs. SuperMicro has a
53 hotswappable 72-disk enclosure that should enable ZFS to far exceed
54 the performance of the system that Anandtech benchmarked, provided
55 that it is configured with a large ARC cache and multiple vdevs each
56 with multiple disks, some SSDs for L2ARC and a SLC SSD-based SLOG/ZIL.
57 I would not be surprised if ZFS performance were to exceed 1 million
58 IOPS on such hardware. Nothing that I have seen planned for btrfs can
59 perform comparably, in any configuration.