From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:41:13
1 On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Ben Kohler wrote:
3 >> > I am suggesting that the latest available upstream kernel should
4 >> > perhaps be the default for Gentoo users.
5 >>
6 >> You seem to be ignoring the regressions that often come with new kernel
7 >> releases, the very common breakage caused in stable "genkernel all", and
8 >> other various complications. Unleashing brand new kernel.org sources on
9 >> stable users as soon as they are released seems crazy to me.
10 >
11 > I don't know, I think it makes a lot of sense..
12 >
13 > Users who upgrade their kernels (don't upgrade if you don't want to)
14 > would be able to participate upstream with reports and confirmations.
15
16 How will users know which kernels they should upgrade to. If the
17 latest is always the greatest then:
18 1. Why wouldn't users always update 2x/week?
19 2. Why doesn't every other distro do this?
20
21 The reality is that there are multiple kernel versions that are
22 getting updates at any time. The latest and greatest is also the one
23 where all the new features are introduced, and likely all the
24 regressions. Fixes are backported to older kernels which are still
25 supported.
26
27 Stable shouldn't track the latest kernel. At best it should track the
28 latest version of an older kernel series. It need not be an LTS one,
29 but it shouldn't be the current dev branch.
30
31 Also, not all fixes are equal. The ones that are the biggest concern
32 are security fixes. If you tell me that the kernel has a new exploit
33 2x/week then I'll start to wonder when the kernel team started
34 outsourcing to MS. Most fixes provide no benefit to most users.
35 Upgrading kernels on Gentoo is not automatic either, especially if you
36 have an initramfs, complex configuration, modules in outside packages
37 (nvidia, virtualization, etc), and so on.
38
39 It just seems like we should be able to get by without a semiweekly
40 kernel upgrade on our "stable" branch.
41
42 Rich