From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: prometheanfire@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 20:19:39
1 On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 01:33:05 -0600
2 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire) <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > All of my systems currently have a seperate /usr that is mounted at
5 > boot. Unfortunately I do agree that this is not something that we can
6 > fight. This was brought up earlier and the only thing we can do
7 > for people like myself (who mount /usr at boot) is to create a simple
8 > initramfs that only has the purpose of mounting /usr at boot. The
9 > main thing I don't like about initramfs is that we have to regenerate
10 > it any time we update the packages that get included in it.
11
12 Eh, I think I'll end up writing myself that four lines of shell code
13 for you which mounts /usr and runs init.
14
15 Or maybe I'll leave that task to you. Attaching my /init for
16 micro-initramfs on klibc. It looks like that:
17
18 ├── bin
19 │   ├── ls
20 │   ├── mount
21 │   ├── run-init
22 │   └── sh
23 ├── dev
24 │   ├── null
25 │   └── sda2
26 ├── init
27 ├── lib64
28 │   ├── klibc-MZ_9MGQEe6NFqmrPjRpy5i6WlV8.so
29 │   └── libc.so -> klibc-MZ_9MGQEe6NFqmrPjRpy5i6WlV8.so
30 ├── newroot
31 └── proc
32
33 $ du -sh