From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How's the freeze holding up?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:55:42
1 On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:02:29 +0200
2 David Nielsen <Lovechild@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I imagine we need the Java thing worked out, and maybe get up to GCC
5 > 3.2.1 and Glibc 2.3.
6
7 The "java thing" has not be solved satisfactorily yet, and is unlikely to
8 be until a gcc-3.2 compiled version of a commercial 1.3 or 1.4 JRE/JDK is
9 made available.
10
11 (For those not in the loop, the "java thing" is the problem where the the
12 java plugin does not runtime link properly against mozilla due to C++ ABI
13 differences between gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-3.x; various LD_PRELOAD hacks have
14 been floating around, but we have so far elected not to apply these).
15
16 It is highly unlikely that glibc-2.3 will be part of 1.4, if Azarah's
17 experiences are anything to judge by (they usually are).
18
19 And NO, you shouldn't expect anybody to announce an official release date.
20 "It's ready when it's ready".
23 Kind regards,
24
25 Karl T