From: Brian Friday <bfriday@××××××××.edu>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Cc: Caleb Shay <caleb@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] torrent support in portage
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:18:37
Just a additional thought/warning with regard to bittorrent.

The biggest problem associated with new bittorrent users (IMHO) is
that they swamp their connection (unless they are on a T-1+) if
a reasonable "--max_upload_rate" is not set. This leads to the
endless cycle of frustrated users who hollar and frustrated
helpers who prematurely go bald.

Perhaps a good way of minimizing this problem would be to add an
additional variable in make.conf called "TORRENT_MAX_UPLOAD="
which would accept a number and have a simple blurb that explains
why setting this to zero(unlimited) might be a bad thing.

Not sure about anyone else but in my own testing, the sweet spot
for me on my 384 down / 128 up DSL connection is about 7K as a max
upload rate. At that speed, I can still interact with the outside
world with little to no speed loss and still serve as much as possible.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] torrent support in portage "James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@×××××××.com>