From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP RFC: Third-party contributions
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 15:42:00
1 On 28/10/16 08:34, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 10/27/2016 11:51 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 21:49:55 -0700
4 >> Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 10/27/2016 06:13 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >>>> [snip]
8 >>>>
9 >>>> To be honest, after writing it all down, I started to get the feeling
10 >>>> it isn't necessary after all. The initial idea (and what motivation was
11 >>>> supposed to mean) was that all previous attempts failed because they
12 >>>> either tried to be too specific, force too many style rules or just
13 >>>> never got necessary 'global' to reach all affected parties.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> I'd dare say this GLEP ended up confirming 'third party contributions'
16 >>>> are not that special, we don't need special teams to handle them or
17 >>>> special rules to cover them.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> So yes, it would probably be enough to put such a simple statement
20 >>>> somewhere. The problem is: where? ;-) GLEP seemed like a
21 >>>> straightforward solution to make it global.
22 >>>>
23 >>> Could it be relevant on the git workflow page? I consult that on a
24 >>> regular basis (it's even in my watch list), and accepting/pushing
25 >>> contributions seems like it's right in line with our expected git workflow.
26 >>>
27 >>> Just a thought. I like where you're going with the idea.
28 >> Anything put on the git workflow page automatically becomes rejected by
29 >> most of the developers and users for being a whim of hasufell ;-).
30 >>
31 > That seems unproductive. What has been proposed in its stead?
32 >
33 I thought monsieurp had written a git flow page for users of the g-p-m
34 project as they are chief users of this process. Is that only under the
35 G-P-M wiki page .. might be worth doing some harmonisation there and/or
36 poking the g-p-m folks?
37
38 MJE