From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: renaming "rc" binary in OpenRC
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:04:11
1 On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 07:53:59PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > William Hubbs posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:23:07 -0600 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > There are reasons to run the rc binary directly; this is how you should
5 > > be changing runlevels.
6 >
7 > ???
8 >
9 > init 9 (or telinit 9, yes, I have a runlevel 9, basic, just gpm as it
10 > happens) isn't appropriate?
11
12 Well, I have to qualify what I said.
13
14 There are two "runlevels" you have to worry about.
15 The OpenRC runlevels are named; you can switch between these using rc
16 directly, for example:
17
18 rc default
19 rc single
20 rc nonetwork
21
22 The sysvinit runlevels are the numbered ones, and these are mapped to
23 things to run, like 3 is mapped to /sbin/rc default. I believe runlevel
24 3 is mapped to other things in inittab, so, I guess the best answer is,
25 it depends on what you are wanting to change. Does that make sense?
26
27 William