From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 19:03:24
1 On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 11:20:01 -0700
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > And both of those can have "Fun" merge conflict issues due to the
5 > > requirements around record delimiters and syntax,
8 > And this means what? That I might check something in that is broken?
9 > How is this not true for any syntax we define?
10
11 It leads git to the conclusion 2 different people edited the same line,
12 which they did, technically.
13
14 But the semantic change when viewed as a series of atomic units, each
15 editor edited an element that was unrelated to the other. (On par with
16 getting a conflict because line's 1 and lines 100 of the same file were
17 edited by different people, that is, pretty much killing the point of
18 automatic conflict resolution)
19
20 This leads to conflicts that git can't solve on its own, when it could
21 by simple format choice. ( And this leads to a place where somebody
22 could fuck up the merge, like, having their merge tool fail and then
23 managing to commit the conflict-markers. Been there. )
24
25 But the short version of it, is this should not generate conflicts:
26
27 - User A edits last record of file
28 - User B appends record to file
29
30 Whereas with JSON at least, either the format demands it due to
31 prohibiting the trailing ',', so:
32
33 [
34 a,
35 b,
36 ]
37
38 Is illegal.
39
40 You can kinda get around it by using left-side commas:
41
42 [
43 b
44 ,c
45 ]
46
47 But do you really want to standarize *that*?