From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: martin@×××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: LTO use in the tree
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:24:19
1 Dnia 2014-04-22, o godz. 08:45:31
2 Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> napisał(a):
3
4 > On the other hand, if upstream tests and supports LTO, it should
5 > be communicated to the user somehow that this is the case.
6 > The same dilemma applies to some other CFLAGS which should not be
7 > used in general but only if the code is written for them.
8
9 Why do you believe that LTO 'should not be used in general'?
10
11 As far as I understand, the LTO concept is suited well for most
12 programs, though the results can vary. I agree that in the early stage
13 many packages may be unhappy about it but as far as I understand, once
14 it is more widespread only a few corner cases would be unsuited for LTO
15 (+ the usual limitations like memory).
16
17 That being the case, I'd feel it be more correct for LTO to disabled
18 by default and enabled via CFLAGS+LDFLAGS, with packages not supporting
19 LTO using flag-o-matic to filter them out.
20
21 Although I should note that my understanding of LTO is pretty much
22 limited to clang's angle. I don't know if gcc doesn't behave different.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny