From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default logger
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:59:58
1 On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 08:27:34AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 10:39 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:31:04AM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
4 > > > our documentation [1] lists syslog-ng as the "default" system logger
5 > > > while current profiles uses metalog (except embedded, default-macos/ppc,
6 > > > default-darwin and sparc32). What should be changed, Handbook or profiles?
7 > >
8 > > I think we should recommend syslog-ng over metalog, both in
9 > > documentation and in profiles, due to the fact that most software,
10 > > howtos and tutorials expect the system log to be located in
11 > > /var/log/messages
12
13 Most software howtos, and tutorials about init scripts don't apply to
14 _our_ init scripts.
15
16 Nor do any howtos/tutorials for other pkg formats, apply to _our_ pkg
17 manager. ;)
18
19 > Agreed. It should be syslog-ng. If nobody objects, I'll change it in
20 > base/virtuals.
21
22 Objecting, obviously ;)
23
24 Basically... why?
25
26 I'm neither advocating being different to be different, nor following
27 others so howtos about their stuff fit to ours. I'm after
28 the underlying reasons why general users should be using syslog-ng over
29 metalog in contrast to the fact we've recommended metalog as long as
30 I've been around. That and I happen to like metalog's layout,
31 strangely enough ;)
32
33 I'd rather see reasons listed as to why syslog-ng is a superior
34 default for users who (most likely) don't care, then "we lack
35 /var/log/messages" :)
36 ~harring