From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 17:18:45
1 On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/08/2017 06:37 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >> I make a lot of binaries for use on other systems, to expedite updates.
4 >> It does not make sense for some packages to ever be a binary package.
5 >
6 > Any particular reason this decision shouldn't be left to the operator of
7 > the binhost rather than the package maintainer? it can already be
8 > controlled through env files.
11 Perhaps, but I could see some value in having some way to mark
12 packages that don't compile anything. This could also overlap
13 somewhat with the desire to track arch-independent packages for
14 stabilization purposes. I could see it being useful to be able to
15 obtain a list of all the binary packages in the Gentoo repo for QA
16 purposes/etc as well.
17
18 Maybe it isn't a flag that outright blocks binary package building,
19 but a way to mark such packages so that a user can apply a policy on
20 top of this.
21
22 Whether it belongs in the ebuild, or in metadata, is another matter.
25 Rich