From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Package Manager Specification: configuration protection
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:24:22
1 > Protected Locations
2 > ===================
3 >
4 > Protected locations are determined by the ``CONFIG_PROTECT`` environment
5 > variable, which is defined in the profiles and which may be augmented or
6 > overridden by the current environment and user configuration files. This
7 > variable contains a space separated list of values which are matched against the
8 > beginning of a full file path and name of files to be installed.
9
10 "which are matched against the beginning of a full file path" would mean
11 that e.g. CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc/foo" would protect the following:
12
13 /etc/foobar/doh
14 /etc/foo
15 /etc/foobaz
16
17 .. or did I misunderstand something here? I don't know whether that is
18 the current behaviour of portage, but IMO it certainly shouldn't be. It
19 should rather be
20
21 /etc/foo (file)
22 or, if /etc/foo is a dir: