From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominate global USE-flag harfbuzz
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 19:00:26
1 On K, 2015-01-07 at 07:29 +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > $ grep :harfbuzz profiles/use*desc
3 > profiles/use.local.desc:dev-libs/efl:harfbuzz - Enable complex text shaping and layout support.
4 > profiles/use.local.desc:dev-qt/qtgui:harfbuzz - Use media-libs/harfbuzz for text shaping (experimental in Qt 5.3.x, default in Qt 5.4.0 and later). If enabled, it can still be disabled at runtime by setting QT_HARFBUZZ environment variable to "old".
5 > profiles/use.local.desc:media-libs/freetype:harfbuzz - Use media-libs/harfbuzz for auto-hinting OpenType fonts. WARNING: may trigger circular dependencies!
6 > profiles/use.local.desc:media-libs/libass:harfbuzz - Enables OpenType shaping via media-libs/harfbuzz.
7 >
8 > Or isn't 4 enough?
9
10 I don't know about that, but I would say at least half of them should
11 continue to carry on a specific description of what the USE flag does in
12 its metadata.xml.
13 I guess consider this just a friendly slightly unrelated reminder that
14 when making USE flags global, please don't end up losing information by
15 deleting the specific description. And consider adding a local
16 description to a packages global USE flag usage if you can describe its
17 effect more specifically.
18 And if some tooling doesn't support that, well, bad luck. My tool does
19 (less metadata.xml)
22 Mart