From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2009 Council Elections
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:49:57
1 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > I would think the only thing that matters is the best interest of
3 > Gentoo. This is after all the _Gentoo_ Council we're speaking of, not a
4 > body that is concerned with non-Gentoo matters.
5
6 ++
7
8 > In my opinion it is in the best interest of Gentoo at this point to
9 > ignore Exherbo and to silence those people involved with Exherbo that
10 > have been so divisive and generated so much conflict in Gentoo channels.
11
12 Why silence what you can ignore? Also Exherbo is the most similar
13 project we have to compare ourselves too. If drobbins had ignored
14 freebsd where would we be now? We shouldn't ignore anything, debain,
15 suse, fedora, etc, etc, etc all have something to contribute. Ignoring
16 them because "we" don't like their members will only make Gentoo weaker.
17 We should instead be looking at what they have done that we can use to
18 improve gentoo. As our closest relative ( of any distro ) having
19 Council members that have at least a basic understanding of what (and
20 how) they are attempting to achieve is a good thing. The same goes for
21 Sabayon.
22
23 > To appoint as proxy for a council meeting someone who has been booted
24 > from Gentoo is a clear lapse of judgement, and would in my eyes
25 > disqualify the involved council member from functioning in that position.
26
27 I actually look forward to seeing how he goes.
28
29 >> While the other candidates certainly have great merits, they tend to only see
30 >> one side and concentrate too much on Gentoo alone.
31 >
32 > I would hope so. The people we elect to the council should concentrate
33 > on Gentoo, otherwise they'd have a conflict of interest.
34
35 Maybe we should force Council members to disclose their involvement with
36 other projects?
37 You never know, we might have a ubuntu dev on the council :D
38
39 Alistair.