From: matt c <matt@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev ML <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentooapproach)"
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:38:45
1 Sorry for butchering your email, I only wanted to ask the list about one
2 point I saw that you made.
3
4 ----- Original Message -----
5 From: "William Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the
7 Gentooapproach)"
8 <snip>
9 > Wish more would do as you have done - I dont think too many follow this
10 > approach. Most seem to just do the reccomended, or go for the max. I
11 > did a few key apps, made my choices and have stayed with them. If a
12 > really useful cflags project gets up, it would be nice to run it
13 > regularly and perhaps find that the new gcc just emerged gives a
14 > measured 5% speed up if you use the new -supercharger flag!
15
16 I think that this is where the confusion with many "experts" on optimization
17 lies. What is a good program to use as a benchmark for optimizations and
18 compiler flags? How does one measure the performance gain? Is the
19 performance gain just in load time, or in processor usage throughout the
20 program? Do the benefits of using a particular optimization translate from
21 one program to the next? Some programs are snappier with -O2, some perform
22 twice as quick with -O3. Who is to say? How does one know for certain?
23
24 I have found that, for the most part, -O2 compiled apps runs much faster on
25 my system. I don't have any hard numbers, but I do know I decided to rebuild
26 my system recently with just -O2 ,-pipe, and -fomit-frame-pointer only -
27 Everything I do seems to be a bit more responsive.
28
29 >From what I've been hearing, I think the general consensus is that -O2 seems
30 to be a better optimization than -O3 *in general, for the most people*, yes?
31 Right now the "Decent examples" in make.conf include (in both examples) -O3
32 as the optimization level to use. If -O2 is that much better, would it not
33 be the sane thing to recommend to users who read make.conf to use -O2?
34
35 I don't know - do -finline-functions and -frename-registers really make that
36 much of a difference? I am no expert at compiler internals. I only know what
37 has been my experience and what others say.
38
39 Just a thought.
40
41 Matt