From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>, Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>, Paul Wise <pabs@××××××.org>, Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
Subject: Re: [packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:53:25
1 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
2 > Neither of the gits gentoo has seems very split,
3
4 I was referring to git in Debian here:
5
6 Package: git-core
7 Binary: git-core, git-doc, git-arch, git-cvs, git-svn,
8 git-email, git-daemon-run, git-gui, gitk, gitweb
11 > texlive with (http://www.tug.org/texlive/) seems to be missing from this list.
12 >
13 > $ eix -H http://www.tug.org/texlive/ | tail -n 1
14 > Found 79 matches.
15 >
16 > I suspect you used grep (or whatever) to construct your data, instead of using
17 > the package manager or a tool that knows how to extract the data available in
18 > packages (and eclasses).
19
20 True, grep and friends.
23 > I'm not sure which 3 cases you mean.
24
25 I was referring to what I said before, in summary:
26 1) non-unique homepages
27 2) extra work for split packages
28 3) extra work for category mapping
31 > I did not argue for a data format nor for a specific language nor coding style
32 > nor anything that seems to match what you are saying here; I only spoke about
33 > how to populate the CPE database.
34
35 I understood you wanted to replace the XML colection with mapping code.
36 I got you wrong then. I agree that combining automated fill of the
37 database with manual can speed things up a lot.
41 Sebastian