From: Daniel <dragonheart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] herds.xml
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 01:44:54
1 On Sunday 11 June 2006 12:50, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 05:08:23PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:19 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday 08 June 2006 21:08, Brian Harring wrote:
5 > > > > One additional to this- the location for the file in the tree
6 > > > > *should* be metadata/ - shoving it into profiles is the wrong
7 > > > > location (it's not profile data, it's repo metadata).
8 > > >
9 > > > that is the correct location for it but we have no metadata tree
10 > > > tracked in cvs
11 > >
12 > > How about we keep it where it is (in CVS) and simply have it added to
13 > > metadata during the normal runs before sync?
14 >
15 > Downside to this is that any tool written to expect the file in
16 > $PORTDIR now doesn't behave as well for cvs users (devs).
17
18 Tools like herdstat use the HERDS environment variable. If other
19 parsers/users of herds.xml are modified to use the same HERDS then its a
20 consistant win for cvs users. How many tools are there?
21
22 Once herds.xml gets added to the $PORTDIR/metadata herdstat (and other
23 programs) will be a lot easier to use for non-devs and budding devs.
24
25 > Either solutions works for me however, mainly after the file being in
26 > the tree for majority of users.
27 > ~harring
28
29 I'd be really happy to see it added. Since there really no objection who
30 controls the staging server enough to implement this? I'm happy to write up a
31 bug report but I'm not sure who to assign it to.
34 Daniel Black <dragonheart@g.o>
35 Gentoo Crypto/dev-embedded/Forensics/NetMon