From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: exherbo-dev@×××××××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Extending -scm with upstream revision awareness
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:07:17
1 Since some people have been asking about this... Here's how I'd see
2 upstream revision awareness being added to the -scm proposal.
3
4 * add src_fetch_extra or whatever to avoid doing the fetches in
5 src_unpack.
6
7 * add pkg_scm_info. It outputs a string containing no spaces.
8
9 * When installing an scm package with suitable EAPI to VDB / exndbam,
10 rewrite the scm version to -scm@THE_INFO_OUTPUT.
11
12 * When doing a pretend install, consider reinstalling any scm package
13 that was installed more than $user_option ago, and mark it as "might
14 reinstall".
15
16 * When updating an scm package, do src_fetch_extra then pkg_scm_info.
17 At user option, if the pkg_scm_info value hasn't changed and it's a
18 reinstall, skip reinstalling.
19
20 * At user option, and not by default, do the fetch / info stage
21 *before* showing the "this is what we'll install" list.
24 Ciaran McCreesh