From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-apps is too big
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:37:42
1 On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:08:41AM -0500, Thomas Kirchner wrote:
2 > * On Mar 1 20:40, Stuart Longland (gentoo-dev@g.o) wrote:
3 > > Well... technically it is an editor... the name comes from Stream EDitor
4 > > -- and it does indeed do exactly that -- you pass some text into stdin,
5 > > give it some rules... and edited text comes out stdout.
6 > Heathens. "Ed is the standard text editor."
7 >
8 > That said, when was the last time anyone used ed (on purpose) to edit
9 > files? Definitely belongs in sys-apps or somewhere else imo, with sed.
10 I proposed moving it to app-editors as I do use it manually to edit
11 files. It's very nice when you have a strange terminal (SSH over
12 wireless from my Handspring Visor is the current main location, simply
13 because the environment has NO control keys of any sort, no Escape, no
14 Ctrl, no Alt, no Meta...).
15
16 It wouldn't surprise me if it's a popular editor for braille terminals
17 either.
20 Robin Hugh Johnson
21 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
22 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
23 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
24 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85