From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Automatic cflag downgrade from pentium4 to pentium3?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:18:44
1 Hello
2
3 Today I saw in a gentoo cvs server email the following.
4
5 2003-03-05 Wednesday 11:01 method
6
7 * sys-devel/gcc/: ChangeLog, gcc-3.2.2-r4.ebuild,
8 files/digest-gcc-3.2.2-r4: replace-flags "-march=pentium4"
9 "-march=pentium3" to fix bug #16867
10
11 Now, I realise that the pentium4 is prone to errors but I hope this does
12 not begin a spree of changes where -march=pentium4 flags will
13 automatically downgraded to -march=pentium3 by the ebuild or otherwise.
14
15 I have used pentium4 for some time now with no problems whatsoever and
16 would like the raise the issue of whether downgrading of flags should be
17 manual and left to the user rather than being automatically modified. A
18 choice would be nice too.
19
20 Also, what exactly is responsible for pentium4 bugs? Is it gcc and is
21 there hope of this being resolved with future versions? And will using
22 pentium3 result in a noticeable decline in performance?
23
24 Many thanks
25 Dhruba Bandopadhyay
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list