From: Benjamin Judas <benjamin.judas@×××.de>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Web-based Portage Frontend
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:00:10
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm planning to do a web-based Portage (i.e. emerge) frontend. I'm doing
4 this just for fun, however it would be nice if I could get some support.
5 There are some problems for me understanding portage's API so what I did
6 now is using the original "emerge" and "portage.py" and modify it so I
7 can include it into my scripts.
8
9 Since Portage is approaching onto some major changes in its API, I am
10 not sure if the frontend would work with future Versions of Portage; I'm
11 using the latest x86-Portage.
12
13 I already talked to genone, he said it would be no problem if I would
14 use and modify their code and pyrania told me, that he had the Idea of
15 an API-library so that all major functions could be encapsuled into
16 easy-to-use functions (for example : def merge_packet(cpv):).
17
18 Having such a library would make things a lot easier for people that
19 want to provide alternative frontends.
20
21 I can't show you any code right now except my quick-and-dirty hacks to
22 test some functions and preparing the basis for webportage. These hacks
23 are - as I already mentioned - the changes in emerge and portage.py to
24 make it work with a web-based environment.
25
26 If there is any interest in this project it would be nice if I could get
27 some help by people who already made their way through Portage's code
28 and have a basic to good understanding of how things work.
29
30 Thanks in advance
31 Benjamin "beejay" Judas
34 GPG-Public-Key:
35 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC31DEDD8
36
37 Key-Fingerprint:
38 4E65 AAFE 785B 61D8 E4D9 1671 E017 87B7 C31D EDD8
39
40 ICQ: 239829549
41 Jabber:beejay@×××××××××.de
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list