From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: news item for sys-apps/systemd -> /usr migration
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:52:10
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm going to move systemd completely to /usr soonish and thus I'd like
4 to submit the following news item for review. I'd appreciate any
5 comments and suggestions.
6
7 -- NEWS ITEM FOLLOWS --
8
9 Title: systemd /usr migration
10 Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
11 Content-Type: text/plain
12 Posted: 2012-01-06
13 Revision: 1
14 News-Item-Format: 1.0
15 Display-If-Installed: sys-apps/systemd
16
17 We have decided to move our systemd installation into /usr prefix.
18 After the upgrade, the main systemd executable will be installed
19 as /usr/bin/systemd and the unit files will be installed
20 to /usr/lib/systemd; however, systemd will still look for unit files
21 in the /lib location.
22
23 For this reason, a new revisions of all systemd versions have been
24 added to the tree and all users are advised to upgrade ASAP to make
25 the transition as painless as possible. To achieve that, the following
26 steps have been taken:
27
28 1) the new systemd versions install and enable a path monitoring helper
29 which automatically updates /etc/systemd symlinks when unit files
30 are moved from /lib to /usr/lib;
31
32 2) the systemd.eclass will block older versions of systemd to ensure
33 that the service files aren't installed in the new location before
34 the helper service is in place;
35
36 3) a symlink is installed at /bin/systemd to ensure that current init=
37 specifications are still valid.
38
39 Please note that these features will be removed after the transitional
40 period and users upgrading afterwards will have to manually ensure
41 correctness of their installations. The former two features will be
42 removed on 2012-03-01, the last one on 2012-05-01.
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny