From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub problem
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 11:52:45
1 On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 06:16:51PM -0000, Abhishek Kumar wrote:
2 > Hi,
3
4 > I installed Gentoo Linux a few days ago on my WinME, and NT system and
5 > now my computer is almost unusable because of a stupid mistake I made.
6 > Installing from floppy, I think I installed grub on the (hd0,0) instead
7 > of (hd0). HD0, 0 is the WinME partition. As a result, it has overwritten
8 > the NT Loader which used to boot WinME and NT. Now I can boot Gentoo, but
9 > not the other OSes. I tried to install grub again on the (hd0,0) but now
10 > it refuses to do it.My question is, is there any way of getting the
11 > installation back without reinstalling NT?
12
13 First, is it possible that you followed the instructions perfectly but still had
14 this problem? If so, then either ME or NT should be bootable (most likely ME will
15 work, but not NT). Try using the chainloader command with GRUB to boot your ME
16 partition:
17
18 grub> root (hd0,0)
19 grub> chainloader +1
20 grub> boot
21
22 Try this on your NT partition as well. If both boot, you can make menu entries
23 for them in your menu.lst file. If one works (I'm guessing ME) then add that
24 one to you menu.lst. Then, post back here and we'll try to get the NT loader
25 reinstalled.
26
27 Best Regards,
30 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>