From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Subcategores and a C comment
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:39:59
1 On Monday 04 October 2004 3:58 pm, Nicholas Jones wrote:
2 > > What's this I've heard about Portage's performance not being a
3 > > real issue? (argument for not rewriting it in C/etc)
4 >
5 > Short version: C is my prefered language, what I code in at work,
6 > and I think it's completely wrong for portage and wide deployment
7 > of an actively changing system such as portage. It's more important
8 > for portage to work than to be blazingly fast.
11 I wasn't arguing that Portage should be in C. I was just pointing out that
12 since there's no real performance gains from such a conversion, it's not
13 likely that changing the directory structure would hurt performance either.
14
15 > > should finally implement fetch-on-demand...
16 >
17 > So instead of a sync connection and update, we can trade off a
18 > complete tree for 1-to-N connections, comparisons, and fetches.
19 >
20 > I'd recommend passing this through infra to make sure that
21 > causing an extra N-times the connections is reasonable.
22 >
23 > Also, you potentially cause the mirror to reject you as there
24 > could be a great deal more competition on any given mirror.
25 > Portage would be forced to add logic to repeatedly poll for a
26 > free connection once it has started. If you get stuck behind
27 > Dialup users, you could very well be there a while. Basically,
28 > it can cause a race condition against servers.
29
30 It seems like you're assuming that only one file can be fetched per
31 connection. I haven't researched the topic much, but I'm pretty sure HTTP,
32 not to mention FTP, supports multiple requests with one connection.
33 --
34 Luke-Jr
35 Developer, Utopios
36 http://utopios.org/