From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:27:21
On 09/16/2011 14:06, Duncan wrote:

> > Careful with the "extreme". As you no doubt realize by now, the udev > folks apparently consider anyone wanting a separate /usr but not an initr* > "extreme". That'd certainly apply double if said admin (since no simple > "user" cares about such stuff, in this view) had /usr on lvm.
I'd say the udev folks need their coffee/tea checked. If this logic stems from some requirement for a window manager/desktop environment on some other distro, then we need to make sure that becomes a configurable item in Gento or not support that package. This is the exact setup I use, and it's worked great since 2003. No, it's not the setup for everyone, so I don't think it should be mandatory for everyone, either. I expect the same for other approaches to have a use for some segment of users, but not to code it in as a hard-set default. Gentoo's about choice. Why else do we have more USE flags than the entirety of the IPv6 address space? (okay, I'm stretching that last a sentence a fair bit ...) -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS kumba@g.o 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic