From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:27:21
1 On 09/16/2011 14:06, Duncan wrote:
4 > Careful with the "extreme". As you no doubt realize by now, the udev
5 > folks apparently consider anyone wanting a separate /usr but not an initr*
6 > "extreme". That'd certainly apply double if said admin (since no simple
7 > "user" cares about such stuff, in this view) had /usr on lvm.
10 I'd say the udev folks need their coffee/tea checked. If this logic stems
11 from some requirement for a window manager/desktop environment on some other
12 distro, then we need to make sure that becomes a configurable item in Gento
13 or not support that package.
14
15 This is the exact setup I use, and it's worked great since 2003. No, it's
16 not the setup for everyone, so I don't think it should be mandatory for
17 everyone, either. I expect the same for other approaches to have a use for
18 some segment of users, but not to code it in as a hard-set default.
19 Gentoo's about choice. Why else do we have more USE flags than the entirety
20 of the IPv6 address space?
21
22 (okay, I'm stretching that last a sentence a fair bit ...)
25 Joshua Kinard
26 Gentoo/MIPS
27 kumba@g.o
28 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
29
30 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
31 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
32
33 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic