From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: remove php4 from depend.php and others
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:37:06
On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 09:30:42AM +0300, Petteri RRRty wrote:
> On 07/10/2010 01:22 AM, Matti Bickel wrote: > > Hi, > > > > yet another patch from Ole in a bid to rid the php eclasses from some > > long forgotten code. The patches should be self-explanatory - just rip > > out everything related to dev-php4 :) > > > > Comments welcome. > > > > The standing policy is still not to remove any public functionality from > eclasses. If we decide to start removing functionality the council > should set common rules for it.
Just adding a note on this one- the original technical reason for this policy (portage inability to run from just the saved env dump) is no longer an issue. If people want to allow eclasses to have fluid APIs (specifically removal of functionality), that's a discussion that needs to start on the dev level. Anyone got strong opinions on this one? ~brian