From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:24:41
1 On Mon, 2020-12-28 at 23:26 +0100, m1027 wrote:
2 > I've been kindly asked by a gentoo dev to send my two pence in here:
3 >
4 > peter:
5 >
6 > > Michał Górny wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > LibreSSL users, does LibreSSL today have any benefit over
9 > > > OpenSSL?
10 > >
11 > > Yes, at least two:
12 > >
13 > > [...]
14 > >
15 > > B. It brings its own TLS API, a unique feature which by itself
16 > > warrants
17 > > the package.
18 >
19 > Yeah, since openssl and libressl cannot be installed at the same
20 > time, I wonder what will be the future of libtls?  To recall, it is
21 > a "a new TLS library, designed to make it easier to write foolproof
22 > applications" (see libressl.org).  I've been using it for some time.
23 > It's great, and it is part of libressl.
24
25 As noted in another fork of this thread, libtls is now provided
26 by dev-libs/libretls which works against OpenSSL.
27
28 > Another thing: Besides libressl there are boringssl and others. Even
29 > if still not the case (?), having virtual alternatives should in
30 > theory help keeping polished interfaces. If for whatever reason this
31 > not the case in practise, I believe dropping the alternatives should
32 > be worse.
33
34 I don't think these alternatives were ever meant to be used system-
35 wide.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny