From: Rob Cakebread <robc@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Too root or not to root?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:39:17
1 Hi,
2
3 I've written an editor/IDE for creating ebuilds (http://abeni.sf.net).
4 It requires the user to run it as root. In previous versions it ran as
5 a regular user and executed commands such as emerge and ebuild with sudo.
6
7 This worked ok but I had to do a lot of silly things because regular users
8 don't have read permissions below $WORKDIR. My app will open the configure
9 and Makefile automatically when you click the 'unpack' icon, for instance,
10 but I had to do some really kludgey things to check if the configure/Makefile
11 existed in ${S}. Then to read it I had to copy it to the /tmp dir with sudo
12 then read it in as regular user.
13
14 Is there a good reason that $WORKDIR isn't world readable? Should I just not
15 worry about it and continue requiring everyone run as root?
16
17 I notice other portage GUIs I've seen all require the user to run as root,
18 such as kportage, portagemaster etc, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned.
21 P.S.
22 Does anyone know of a Bash script beautifier? Mainly I need to convert spaces
23 to tabs in ebuilds and I'd rather use an external program if one exists.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Rob
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list