From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change USE flags when compiling with FEATURES=test
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:45:19
1 On 18 March 2012 08:33, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > So you run set FEATURES=test to run a package's test suite during
3 > keywording. Later, you emerge -vuNDa ... and portage wants to reemerge
4 > that package with USE=-test.
5 >
6 > Can't we avoid this somehow? I presume in the vast majority of cases
7 > emerging with FEATURES/USE=test doesn't actually affect what's
8 > installed.
9
10 Not so, there are a lot of things where USE="test" pulls in extra
11 dependencies, dev-perl/* is rife with them.
12
13 And I've seen some things where USE=test changes behaviour of the
14 compile phase sufficient that enabling USE=test *could* change the
15 code compiled as well.
16
17 But I think I see where you're comming from.
18
19 I just can't see a reasonable cover-all approach that wouldn't really
20 be a large nasty package-manager specific hack.
21
22 > I'd guess we'd need to be able to remove 'test' from the set of IUSE
23 > and have a new helper function to check if 'test' is in FEATURES?
24
25 And besides, I'll reinstall a package if so much as the MD5 changes
26 due to somebody adding keywording for an arch I don't use ;)
27
28 I think what would be more practical is a sane way to enable
29 FEATURES="" on a per-package level like USE flags in portage, then you
30 could enable FEATURES="test" for that one package and it would always
31 build that package with USE="test"
32
33 Paludis does this already via an extended use.conf syntax:
34
35 =dev-foo/bar-1.2 flag -otherflag BUILD_OPTIONS: optional_tests
36 LINGUAS: en
37
38 Perhaps portage does this already and I'm hiding under a rock, but I
39 haven't seen it, and I've just cheated the system with
40
41 linguas_en
42
43 and other similar manual USE_EXPAND tricks in my package.use
46 Kent
47
48 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
49 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"