From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:10:54
1 On 04/24/13 21:17, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:00:17PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:16:06 -0500
4 >> William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.* scripts
7 >>> will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate package that
8 >>> includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.
9 >> Aside all the other, please don't name it like this :). It's just feels
10 >> wrong to start new and supposedly beneficial project and name it 'old'
11 >> like something you just thrown away off the main tree.
12 > The name is also per robbat2's request. I asked him about other names,
13 > but he specifically wanted oldnet in the name.
14 >
15 > A little bit of historical background may be in order here.
16 >
17 > In a nutshell, it is called old because Roy wanted to deprecate the
18 > whole thing eventually and switch us over to the newnet scripts that
19 > OpenRC has.
20 > name.
21 >
22 > We thought about killing off newnet entirely for a while in OpenRC, but
23 > I have since found that people do use it. It is more similar to what
24 > happens on the *bsd side, and it works well for simple setups.
25 s/it works well for simple setups/it work wonderfully for very complex
26 setups/
27
28 It can mimic very closely the 'ip' command, making it easy to test on
29 commandline and just copy and paste in conf.d/net.
30 At the same time it benefit from a lot of howtos and tutorials written
31 for sys-apps/iproute2
32
33 "old"net is the best network manager out there including all major distro.
36 > Also, I think it is more like what some other distros do for their
37 > network interfaces.
38 >
39 > The primary disadvantages of newnet are that services can't depend on a
40 > single network interface, and it is not possible to stop/start a single
41 > interface.
42 >
43 > William