From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] enable USE=xattr by default
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:31:00
1 On 10/14/15 11:48 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > USE=xattr is needed nowadays to support:
3 > - filesystem caps (those things that let you drop set*id and generally
4 > improves system security w/little to no runtime overhead)
5 > - PaX file markings (replaces binutils ELF markings)
6 > - selinux
7 >
8 > we actually have USE=filecaps on by default already, and catalyst
9 > hard requires tar[xattr] in order to work. the hardened profile
10 > also package.use.force's this flag on for some core packages.
11 >
12 > not too many packages actually utilize this flag, and when they do,
13 > it's to pull in the attr package which clocks in at <200 KiB. the
14 > runtime overhead tends to be low to non-existent as xattrs tend to
15 > be used only when requested.
16 >
17 > when support is not available in the FS or kernel, packages should
18 > generally fall back gracefully.
19 >
20 > anyone opposed to flipping this flag on by default ?
21
22 do it. the only problem i see coming is kernel configurations which
23 don't have xattrs set. this can happen on embedded boards where its
24 difficult/impossible to swap out kernels (like some of the stuff i
25 have). fcaps.eclass has intelligence for this. i'll look again at
26 pax-utils.eclass and make sure there is enough error checking to deal
27 with kernel/filesystems that can't handle xattrs. i remember some issue
28 with scanfelf's exit code which caused some problem, but we can talk
29 about that later when i've refreshed the issue in my head.
32 > reference:
33 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/506198
34 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/556408
35 > -mike
39 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
40 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
41 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
42 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
43 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA