From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-project
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:23:17
1 On Tuesday 09 September 2003 12:19, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > That would not be cool at all. pkg_postinst is *the* one place in the
3 > ebuild where we can do things that need to be done on the live filesystem
4 > or the machine at large. Sandboxing this would not be helpful.
5
6 Well, what needs to be done on the real filesystem anyway? What can't be done
7 inside a sandbox and then copied over to the live filesystem after the admin
8 says it's ok? Just theoretically, make no assumptions about how difficult it
9 might be to not do it to the live filesystem. It might in fact be very
10 difficult.
11
12 Of course I'm not speaking of convenience, thats always the problem with added
13 security, it's often more difficult to handle (and that;s bad, easy security
14 is the best I think, as people tend to find ways around the difficult to
15 handle things to make their lives easier). I'm all for security like Jan,
16 though his approach still has the major problem of a compromised master tree.
17 The one problem that can only be circumvented by signing everything and
18 keeping the signing keys away from the master tree. At least I can't think of
19 anything else. That's what I wanted to point out.
20
21 > By the time the ebuild is being executed on your machine, it's already too
22 > late. If security is what you want, you need something that'll stop the
23 > code running in the first place.
24
25 Exactly. As said, even that sandboxing wouldn't help against the scenario Jan
26 was referring to all the time but just make the writing of ebuilds (and
27 portage) more complicated.
30 Alex
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list