From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 04:07:28
1 On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:06 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2021-03-22 03:06, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > > Based on that commit message, it looks systemd switched to looking at
5 > > the symlink target instead of /etc/timezone well *after* some major
6 > > distro started using a symlink for /etc/localtime. I suspect Kay
7 > > Sievers noticed that the content of /etc/timezone and /etc/localtime
8 > > were redundant on his development machine, and added a TODO entry to
9 > > eliminate the redundant /etc/timezone file.
10 > >
11 > > In other words, this isn't a case of systemd forcing distros to
12 > > symlink /etc/localtime; they were already doing that anyway.
13 >
14 > I just downloaded and tested some old distributions:
15 >
16 > Debian 9 was the first Debian release with systemd. Because of systemd,
17 > /etc/localtime became a symlink. In Debian 8 or when you install Debian
18 > 9 without systemd, it is a regular file.
19 >
20 > Ubuntu 12.04.5 is the same: No systemd, /etc/localtime is a regular
21 > file. Once they moved to systemd it became a symlink.
22 >
23 > In Fedora 17, which is already using systemd but a version before linked
24 > commit, /etc/localtime is also a regular file. But once Fedora upgraded
25 > to >=systemd-190 it became a symlink.
26
27 Thanks for looking into it. I wonder how Kay's system ended up that
28 way then. Just a curiosity.
29
30 > That's why from my P.O.V. this is clearly caused by systemd. But does
31 > this matter?
32
33 You're the one who brought it up; I'm not sure what the point of that
34 was, other than to complain about systemd.