From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@×××××.com>
To: "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage as a dependency
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:38:18
1 On Thursday 06 February 2003 06:17 pm, Sean P. Kane wrote:
2 > I reported a bug earlier today that turned out to be caused by a
3 > slightly older version of Portage. Shouldn't we consider having portage
4 > or the ebuilds handle this type of situation better, by either having
5 > the ebuilds have a particular version of portage as a dependency or
6 > making portage always check for a newer stable version of portage
7 > whenever it does an emerge and then upgrading to that first.
8
9 RDEPEND=">=sys-apps/portage-2.0.47", as an example, is one way an ebuild
10 can do it.
11
12 Furthermore, Portage should be backward compatible with ebuilds written for
13 earlier versions. DEPEND/RDEPEND should be all that is necessary in
14 situations where an ebuild depends on a newer, masked version of Portage
15 -- if that is in fact necessary.
16
17 Cheers,
18 Dylan Carlson