From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] blocking mixed versions of split QT libraries
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 18:05:59
1 On Monday 18 of May 2009 19:26:58 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:15:59 +0200
3 >
4 > Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@××××××.fm> wrote:
5 > > Not sure who is 'we' there, but Portage team already made is useful.
6 > > Basic portage rule for soft-blocks behaviour is "no longer referenced
7 > > (a'ka 'soft') blocked package can be uninstalled cleanly without user
8 > > intervention"
9 >
10 > That's not in the least bit well defined, and it's also extremely
11 > dangerous.
12
13 Please elaborate on that.
14 (to make it simple, let me use portage terminology below)
15 Everything what user should be interested in is expected to be in 'world' file
16 or 'world_sets' or pulled as dependencies. This I define by "referenced".
17 Everything else like things installed temporarily, no longer pulled packages,
18 are subject of 'depclean'. I don't see why pruning those you consider
19 extremely dangerous - especially when there are parameters like --pretend or
20 --ask.
21 While "no longer referenced" term may be considered not fully defined as it
22 does not specify the way things become not referenced anymore (as packages may
23 be determined to be referenced later, during block resolution stage, but
24 that's implementation specific) - the term "referenced" is defined well
25 enough.
26 Nobody is (for now) expecting every PMS compliant package manager to return
27 identical dependency graph in corner cases.
28
29 > > Zac did good job there saving users (especially KDE users) from
30 > > nightmare of handling all package refactoring/blocks manually.
31 >
32 > The nightmare only existed because of abuse of that feature. Had blocks
33 > kept their original meaning, people would not have abused them to the
34 > same extent.
35
36 Unfortunately in packaging of dynamically developed applications like whole
37 KDE environment (with Gentoo KDE split package policy - ~250 ebuilds with
38 every release) it's impossible not to 'abuse' blocks - either to handle file
39 collisions issues, or removed/moved libraries (by upstream). Not sure what was
40 original meaning of blocks you're referring to, either way - there is no rule
41 stating ">= N uses of feature X in scope Y in time frame T is considered
42 abuse" - that being said, I'm surprised you're looking for cheap excuse for
43 providing no working block auto-resolution mechanism (or maybe there is some
44 I'm not aware of) - it does not need to be in any Gentoo specification after
45 all - just to make things easier for users.
48 regards
49 MM
50
52 Zrob sobie prezent. Wygraj nagrode!