From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:45:06
1 On 8/23/21 11:05 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 10:36 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >>>>>>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021, Anthony G Basile wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>>> **WARNING**
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> If you happen to have an INSTALL_MASK with a blanket "*systemd*"
9 >>>>> glob, you will inevitably break your system. sys-fs/udev contains
10 >>>>> "systemd" in some of its filenames, hence a blanket filter rule will
11 >>>>> likely lead to a non-functional udev installation.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Will an INSTALL_MASK of "/usr/lib/systemd /etc/systemd" cause any
14 >>>> issues?
15 >>
16 >>> I have not tested, but I think so since "systemd-" is used as a prefix
17 >>> for files installed by sys-fs/udev.
18 >>
19 >> So, we've abandoned the systemd USE flag, and I remember that one of
20 >> the arguments was that users could use INSTALL_MASK for precisely the
21 >> above mentioned directories.
22 >
23 > Well, the argument is that we don't use USE flags to prevent packages
24 > from installing small text files. It is the same reason we don't have
25 > an openrc USE flag to control installing init.d scripts. We're now
26 > talking about pretty far back in history but I think this was a
27 > general guideline before systemd even came along.
28 >
29 >> Now the message is that users' systems will be broken if they had
30 >> followed our previous advice? Seriously?
31 >
32 > Did we ever officially advise people to use INSTALL_MASK at all? I
33 > thought that was mostly a "you can keep the pieces if you break
34 > things" option we provide. IMO the risks of people misusing it are
35 > far greater than the possible harm of having a few hundred small text
36 > files installed on their system, but it is there if people really want
37 > to use it.
38
39 I remember this discussion well. It was for those "stubborn" people who
40 wanted a clean system. I added to the discussion by saying "what about
41 embedded systems people where every file counts because of inode and
42 block allocation constraints" and the answer was INSTALL_MASK, not a USE
43 flag, for the reasons Rich stated. This was to create a openrc/systemd
44 agnostic system.
45
46 Having said that, I'm open to whatever solution/wording you might suggest.
49 > However, having used the option in the past shouldn't hurt anybody.
50 > It only impacts people if they use it when they install udev, hence
51 > the news item.
56 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
57 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
58 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
59 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
60 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA