From: Ryan Shaw <ryan.shaw@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds which install fonts
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:32:50
1 Nathaniel wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 04:40:54PM +0900, Ryan Shaw wrote:
4 >
5 > > fonts. the ebuilds i have seen thus far
6 > > which install fonts (freefonts and x11fonts-jmk)
7 > > create new subdirectories of of /usr/lib/X11/fonts.
8 > > this seems bad though, since it means that
9 > > a new FontPath needs to be added to XF86Config
10 >
11 > What about having multiple, slightly different, copies of, say, the
12 > "times" font from different packages. I've run into this several times.
13 > For an example see 75dpi vs 100dpi directories, a contrived example I
14 > admit, but one everyone has. I really think keeping font packages
15 > separate is a good idea because eventually you'll run into a collision.
16
17 i think this is something that could be worked out among
18 the ebuild maintainers. plus, sticking to the standard
19 directories makes it clear what type of fonts they are.
20 if i just install a bunch of fonts in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/foo,
21 how does the user know if these foo fonts are Type1, Speedo,
22 TrueType, CID, or bitmap fonts? Sure, they can examine the
23 font files, but what a pain...
24
25 rbs