From: "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /var/ftp VS /home/ftp
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:30:54
1 On Monday 21 March 2005 01:02 CET Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:49:05 +0000 Gustavo Adolfo Silva Ribeiro
3 >
4 > Felisberto <humpback@g.o> wrote:
5 > | Right now ftpd builds create /home/ftp directory as this will be the
6 > | home of the anonymous account home. One user opened a bug and he says
7 > | that the proper place would be /var/ftp to go with /var/www . What do
8 > | you guys think?
9 >
10 > System dependent. If ftp directories are machine-local, /var. If they're
11 > shared across many machines, /home. If your sysadmin is a two dollar
12 > redhat crack monkey, /srv.
13
14 You mean a two dollar redhat crack monkey who read the FHS 2.3? ;~)
15
16 Having a /srv around might feel funny in the first place, but it indeed
17 makes sense if you got used to it. Pretty nice to find the important
18 things to backup for example (when I'm low on backup space I don't want to
19 save the users' pr0n).
20
21 I think the discussion whether Gentoo wants to adopt /srv or not died away
22 without a conclusion about half a year ago.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Malte
26 --