From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: killing mediawiki
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 19:21:06
1 > I don't care that we have a wiki, but can we please look into killing
2 > mediawiki and look at something with a git backend?
3
4 I think the wiki is very useful and should remain.
5
6 > It would be very nice to be able to edit wiki pages in markdown or another similar format
7 > and use git to control the changes instead of editing in a browser.
8
9 I think it is more efficient to convert your yearly contributions to the
10 wiki [1] manually from markdown to mediawiki, instead to convert the
11 existent wiki pages to anything plus setup a new engine and configure
12 user accounts.
13
14 Btw: Would a conversion to another wiki mean that we get another long
15 footer on every wikipage "This page was edited by... do not remove..."?
16
17 For the special case of the Gentoo Manual:
18 I think the Gentoo Manual is better maintained in a git repository,
19 because it was initially written like a book and sometimes it is better
20 to make PRs for the manual.
21
22 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/WilliamH
25 Best,