From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:41:37
1 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn posted on Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:19:32 +0200 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
5 >> Currently RESTRICT=mirror and RESTRICT=bindist are independent of each
6 >> other. I wonder if the former should imply the latter.
7 >>
8 >> Is there any package where the files in SRC_URI cannot be mirrored
9 >> (i.e., redistributed), but where the built package can be distributed?
10 >
11 > I vaguely remember some cases of large proprietary packages which were
12 > legal to redistribute, but we did not want them on Gentoo mirrors. After
13 > all, the description according to ebuild(5) does not contain a reference
14 > to what you can or cannot do:
15 > mirror
16 > files in SRC_URI will not be downloaded from the GENTOO_MIRRORS.
17
18 IIRC, one case was several gigs of data-files for some game or other. It
19 was legal to redistribute, but several gigs of files was thought too much
20 for the mirrors, for a single game only a small fraction of gentoo users
21 would be interested in. Additionally, the game data wasn't likely to
22 change as development had long since ceased, so it tended to be a one-
23 time download, meaning even users that used it would probably only do so
24 once.
25
26 It's quite possible that some bit of that is incorrect, however. Perhaps
27 someone from games can confirm/correct as necessary.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman