From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install guide
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 23:04:03
1 On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 11:24:42PM -0500, shields.56@×××.edu wrote:
2
3 > when i got to the kernel configuration step of the gentoo install guide, i
4 > couldn't for the life of me get reiserfs to appear in menuconfig (under
5 > "file systems" of course)... was a necessary step left out somewhere in
6 > the instructions?
7
8 You need to enable the "experimental features" option. Then it will appear.
9
10 > i'll try it out with ext3 for now... it's nice to see a new distro without
11 > all the *bloat*... gentoo linux looks very promising... the portage
12 > system too :)
13
14 Unfortunately, the 2.4.10 kernel included with our most recent boot CD does
15 not play nice with ext3. You may experience lockups or other weird problems
16 during "emerge system" or bootstrap. If you want to use ext3, just use ext2
17 for the install and do an in-place upgrade of the filesystems after you have
18 a 2.4.13+ kernel up and running.
19
20 Best Regards,
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>