From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 04:34:10
1 On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > So, I ask again. You keep complaining about "insanity". What's the
3 > insanity and why should we go to all of the extra effort you want us to
4 > go to to avoid it?
5
6 I think it's more of a knee-jerk reaction to this: Redhat is pushing
7 systemd very hard, and its technical merits have gained a lot of sway
8 in many places. As such, it seems like lots of everything are joining
9 a fast-paced systemd stampede. Seeing that udevd has been renamed to
10 something with "systemd" in the name raises a gut fear "oh no, now
11 something as fundamental as udev is becoming systemdified. It's just a
12 matter of time before init.d disappears forever." To the
13 non-systemd'ers, I think the general perception is that without any
14 set of policies to manage the stampede, systemd will eventually take
15 over.
16
17 Maybe this fear is warranted. Maybe it's silly. I don't know. I am
18 glad, though, that Gentoo is sticking with OpenRC, and I hope that the
19 consequences of that decision are respected by ebuild maintainers.