From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] remove sci-geosciences/googleearth from the tree
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:55:18
1 On 07/21/2013 07:42 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I am maintaining it for some months now and it has reached a state
4 >> where we should think about treecleaning it.
5 >
6 > ++
7 >
8 >> Maintaining a package in gentoo implies a few things for me:
9 >> We are able to support it properly which either means that we can
10 >> communicate with upstream or at least (if that fails) fix bugs on our
11 >> own. Currently, both does not apply to googleearth which means we
12 >> cannot resolve a lot of bugs in any way.
13 >> Also... software in the tree should meet a minimum of quality and we
14 >> should not support vulnerable and broken software officially.
15 >
16 > From your description it seems like Google Earth is really pushing it.
17 > I wouldn't call it "vulnerable" and "broken" though - software is
18 > only vulnerable if there is a known exploit. Bundling libraries is
19 > bad practice because it increases the risk of such vulnerabilities
20 > existing, but on its own shouldn't be grounds for removal. It
21 > certainly has the potential to increase the workload for maintainers
22 > though.
23 >
24 > My sense is that none of the problems you listed should really be
25 > considered a reason that something MUST be removed from the tree, but
26 > they certainly tend to add up. If somebody wants to take over
27 > wrestling with it I don't think we should look down on that though.
28 >
29 > Rich
32 I have no problem with maintaing it, but that does not change my opinion
33 that it's simply not fit for the tree.
34
35 I'd maintain it in an overlay then where we can play with hacks and
36 whatnot to get it working.
37
38 But people should expect that things work somehow in the tree, even on
39 ~arch. Even worse: the stable googleearth builds are unfetchable and
40 that's not how I'd define any stable ebuild in the tree.