From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: aballier@g.o, tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] multilib-build.eclass and restricting unsupported ABIs
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 22:24:45
1 On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 18:18:12 +0100
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 17:58:26 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > What do we need that wrapper for? What does the wrapper do? Does it
8 > > just rely on custom 'ABI' variable?
9 >
10 > yes -- it must perform some checks though.
11
12 What kind of checks?
13
14 > > Or maybe should it try to detect
15 > > whether it was called by a 64- or 32-bit app?
16 >
17 > this wont work: think about a build system, your shell/make will likely
18 > be your default abi's but may call abi-specific tools depending on what
19 > you build _for_ not what you build _with_
20
21 That's one side of it. The other is that if it worked, it may be
22 something really unexpected. Do you expect things to work differently
23 when called by a 32-bit program?
24
25 > > What for?
26 >
27 > in order to be transparent from the ebuild perspective.
28
29 That depends on what kind of transparency do we want. I prefer being
30 explicit here rather than assuming something you can't know for sure.
31
32 I think we're starting to miss the point of multilib. Multilib was
33 intended as a cheap way of getting things working. I believe that we
34 should still consider it so, and keep it in cages rather than believing
35 that the world is more fun with tigers jumping around.
36
37 That said, I wouldn't say that making random executables in system work
38 differently on ${ABI} is a way to go. That leaves the tricky imprint
39 of multilib visible to users who shouldn't care about it. If they do,
40 they're looking for multilib-portage.
41
42 The whole 'switching' part of multilib should be kept part of our build
43 system -- eclasses, ebuilds or just some specificities like libdir or
44 pkg-config path switching.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny