From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uncoordinated changes
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:48:36
1 My two cents:
2 Do it like in linux kernel.
3
4 The guys making the API change bear the burden of fixing anything it
5 breaks, however, if something gets officially deprecated, don't go out of
6 your way to support continued use.
7
8 I for one would consider "ok, this method is not working, deprecate it so
9 that it doesn't get any worse because we're going to be changing it later"
10 is quite an appropriate way to bear the burden.
11
12 Anyone getting grandfathered from doing it the old way escapes the burden,
13 but by putting the entire community on notice via the GLEP process, well,
14 grandpa got put out to pasture and after that point the community inherited
15 the burden of not deepening the dependency on the freshly deprecated
16 feature.
17
18 Since this is a collective superproject it can also be said that we all
19 bear the collective burden of cooperating towards a common goal.
20
21 And yes, the personal attacks probably should die down. I'm not with
22 devrel or comrel but even I can tell such sniping and whatnot can decrease
23 overall productivity of the distro by bringing down morale.
24
25 Solution?
26
27 If anything broke because herds were removed? My suggestion is to leave
28 behind herds as empty stubs somehow, officially deprecate herds (which the
29 council already did from what I gather), and file a tracking bug to have
30 herds removed entirely.
31
32 Then just do what they do with new versions of gcc, and have existing tools
33 that break when herds are removed have new bugs filed on them that block
34 the tracking bug. The breakage cited in the first post would be a good
35 example of a dependent bug that ought to block the "we still have herds"
36 bug.
37
38 What do you guys think? Just use a tracking bug to flush out anything
39 still using herds like they do when new versions of GCC come out and break
40 stuff?
41